The Every Hour Counts Measurement Framework is designed to serve as a blueprint for understanding the impact of programs on youth outcomes, making improvements at the system and program levels, and influencing policy.
TEN-YEAR CONVENING REPORT
Ten years ago, the national coalition, Every Hour Counts, was formed at a convening of accomplished intermediary leaders and prominent funders in the after-school field. A decade later, funders and practitioners came together once again to reflect on the state of our field and begin to chart a course for its future. This report provides an overview of major developments in the expanded-learning field in the last ten years, and sets forth a vision for the future. The report describes the pressing social issues that impact student learning, including poverty and inequity, and examine the ways in which expanded learning can help remove some of the associated barriers.
Fuse resource guide
Strategies to advance informal STEM education in expanded learning settings.
Frontiers in Urban Science Exploration is a national initiative led by Every Hour Counts which seeks to institutionalize engaging, inquiry-based, informal STEM education. The FUSE Resource Guide is grounded in the experience of our partners over the past three years and profiles promising strategies that advance informal STEM learning.
The guide features:
- Core elements of high-quality informal STEM education.
- Overview of the Every Hour Counts FUSE national demonstration, profiles of promising city- and county-wide initiatives, and lessons learned in working to bring informal STEM education to scale.
- Curriculum resources to advance informal STEM learning.
- Strategies to inform the development of comprehensive evaluation plans that assess the impact of STEM education in informal settings.
- Funding sources and partnerships to support the continued growth and long-term sustainability of informal STEM education programs.
- A look ahead at what's next for the informal STEM education field.
- A reference list of resources to help support the development of inquiry-based STEM learning opportunities in expanded learning systems.
Messages made simple: communications toolkit for expanded learning
This messaging toolkit is for organizations that use expanded learning to improve opportunities and outcomes for youth. It builds on a collaborative process conducted by Every Hour Counts partners and is available to organizations working in expanded learning, organizations that are building expanded-learning systems, and anyone else who wants to communicate clearly about this important work. The toolkit focuses on helping the field use clear, crisp, consistent language.
In addition to providing strategies and tips for communicating effectively, it provides language to explain the value of expanded learning, the work of intermediaries, and the role of expanded-learning systems in improving outcomes for youth.
the wallace foundation knowledge center
Millions of children and teens lack access to afterschool programs that provide rich opportunities for growth, learning and fun. One possible solution is to coordinate the work of programs, government agencies, private funders and others involved in afterschool programs—that is, build an afterschool system that is greater than the sum of its parts. Key components of afterschool systems include efforts to improve program quality and collection of data to inform decision-making.
Browse the reports and other resources at this Knowledge Center for insights into making high-quality afterschool programming more readily available to young people.